Are you a red wine enthusiast? Do you like it reddish, blackish, purplish or generally, the dark side of wines ranging from sweet, sparkling, semi-dry to dry? Wine is the most complex category of alcohol. To make it worse, red wines are more diverse to be understood comprehensively. This article will try to explain all that you need to get started with red wines and will change how you shop your wine, the way you serve it and the way you taste your wine. Red wines are checked from several dimensions that include their medicinal value, how to enjoy them, how different they are from white wines, varieties of red wines and also different types of red wines. This article will explore everything you need to know about wine including wine delivery in nairobi, wine prices in kenya and more.
Why red wines are red
Red wines are normally red because they are made from red grapes. The diverse colour of the red grapes ranging from purple, deep red, deep blue, pink, blackish, orange, light red or maroon influence the diverse colour of the red wines. So, next time you order wine, take note of the colour of the bottle. The colour of the wine is basically influenced by the skin of the grapes bringing a shade of red to the wine. Just like the other wines, red wines can also be categorized as sweet red wine, dry red wine or sparkling red wine. Red wines turn from sweet to dry depending on the concentration of tannins. The higher the tannins the drier the wine. Tannins increases with the amount of time the skin of grapes is kept with the juice before being extracted.
Different types of red wines
Wines are graded from non-alcoholic wines, light bodies, medium bodies and full bodies Wine body is about how a wine feels in the mouth when you drink it. Alcohol contributes to the wine body by giving the wine its viscosity which influences the light or heavy feeling of the wine in the mouth when sipped. Non- alcoholic – these are wines that have zero alcohol percentage. Good examples are Chamdor red, Chamdor white and Lambrusco. Light bodies – these are wines with alcohol percentage below 12.5 %. Good examples are Riesling, Prosecco and blends. Sample brands include 4th Street, Four Cousins, Cellar Cask, Robertson Winery, Nederburg Riesling, Prosecco white sparkling and Ama La Vida. Medium bodies – these are the wines with alcohol percentage between 12.5% and 13.5%. Good examples are Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc and Rose wines. Sample brands include Namaqua, Frontera, Gato Negro, Asconi and Mamma Mia. Full bodies – these are the wines with alcohol percentage above 13.5%. Good examples are Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, Zinfandel, Malbec and Shiraz. Sample brands include Overmeer, Nederburg, Drostdy Hof and Black BirdHow to serve red wines
Red wines should be served in oval or egg-shaped glass that narrows as it reaches at the top compared to the slim tall glasses used with champagnes. Red wines should always be served at room temperature; when too cold, it will taste bitter and when hot, the alcohol content will be over emphasized. The good thing with the red wines is their compatibility with most food unlike white wines that are generally served with only the light meals. When shopping for red wines, ask for the old ones because they normally taste better. Red wines get better with age as maturity continues due to high concentration of tannins.
Benefits of red wine
In comparison to the white wines that are meant for refreshment, red wines have a lot of medicinal values that are mostly related to the heart. It is advisable for med to take at least two glasses of red wines daily while the ladies should take at least a glass daily. Should you adhere to these instructions, the following are the health benefits that you will reap from taking red wines.
Red wines help in weight loss.
Reduces the chances of contracting heart diseases by reducing chances of blood clot hence lowering the chances heart attack.
Lowers the risk of stroke and hypertension.
Reduces the amount of cholesterol by taking it to the liver for removal.
Reduces the chances of contracting breast and prostate cancers.
Dry red wines are better than white wines due to more flavonoids.
The best red wines with more health benefits are pinot noir, cabernet sauvignon and shiraz / SyrahDifference between red wine and white wines
Red wines are different from white wines in various aspects rather than the obvious one of the colour. They exhibit different tastes and flavours and also their method of preparation defers a lot. To start with, red wines have richer and deep flavours in comparison to the lighter and fruiter white wines. It is because of their lighter feel, that the white wines pairs well with light food while the red wines pairs with almost every food. In preparation of the wines, red wines are normally fermented with their skins unlike the white wines that must have their skins peeled off before fermenting. The skin of the grapes has the highest concentration of tannins hence making the wine better with age unlike the white wines that losses taste with age due to low concentration of tannins. The skin also taints the red wine with its colour hence giving variations in the colours of the red wines unlike the variations in colour of the white wines that are brought about by the flavours added to make it more fruitier and refreshing. At some point in the fermentation process, the skins of the grapes are removed to prevent tannins from increasing to a higher percentage which might lead increased bitterness of the wine. To enjoy the red wines more, ensure they are at room temperature unlike the white wines that are enjoyed on the rocks. Ensure that you have the right glass depending on the wine that you are drinking. Different wines are drunk with different glasses. For example, red wine glasses are tulip shaped while the champagne glasses are slim and tall.
Varieties of red wines
The following are the major categories of red wines varietals available in Nairobi Drinks shelves. We have taken our time to import all these wines from all corners of the world so that you may have an experience of its kind.
- This is the most widely grown grape in the whole world due to its hardiness to weather conditions and diseases but it originated in France. In short form, it’s called Cab Sav. These wines are a blend between Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc or Merlot. They produce full bodied wines that are known to be fuller than other wines and traditionally are served with red meat. It’s deep purple to garnish colour and the blending with other varietals of wines introduces aromas of bell pepper and oak flavours. It is the most well-known wine and the most appreciated in all the corners of the world. Good examples of Cabernet Sauvignon are Nederburg, Frontera and Gato Negro.
– This is another popular wine but with low tannins hence the best choice for wine starters. It got strong deep colour, sweet aromas and easy to pair with different types of foods. It’s a medium bodied wine with juicy fruit flavours that include herbs, black cherry and plums providing a really satisfying taste experience. Merlot grapes are grown in many different countries but it originated from France. Are you a wine a starter? You should definitely start with this one. Good examples of Merlot are Frontera, Namaqua and Nederburg.
– This is also a great wine for beginners. The wines are spicy, smooth and rich coloured with flavours of plums and berries. They are commonly produced in Argentina and Chile but with an origin of France. Good examples of Malbec are Bird & Bees Sweet Malbec and Tilia Malbec.
– This is a medium bodied to full bodied wine with low acidic content and strongly coloured hence highly appreciated by entry level red wine drinkers. It has the flavours of black pepper, smoked meat and berries. It is perfectly served with red meat. This wine originated from France but it grown in other countries like Italy, Australia and California. Good example of Shiraz is Nederburg.
– The red Zinfandel is a sweet tasting wine with flavours of berries and peppers. There are various types of Zinfandel and with each type well suited to a particular recipe of food. The red Zinfandel combines well with grilled food and pizza due to its peppery flavour. It is a medium bodied wine with origin of California. Good example of Zinfandel is Arbomist.
Other popular types of wines worth mentioning are Baronne, Pinot noir, Cabernet Franc and Pinotage The Reason Why Should Order Wine Online in Kenya From Nairobi Drinks
Nairobi Drinks is the leading online liquor store in Kenya in terms of variety of wines in our shelves, fast dispatch of orders, free drinks delivery to your doorstep and discounted prices in all our services including whisky delivery Nairobi. This is to add to ‘no minimum order’ clause that helps our clients to order any bottle they desire to drink. We have extended our working hours to midnight with an aim to make it 24 hour alcohol delivery Nairobi in order to serve you better. So, let’s raise our glasses to our good wine today!
Nairobi Drinks - Best Online Liquor Store in Kenya
Place order through a call, sms or whatsapp to 0714798820 or an email at email@example.com
We offer free drinks delivery services in Nairobi and its environs. We deliver within 30 mins of order.
Alcohol delivery services orders will be dispatched within 5 minutes of request.
Nairobi Drinks Delivery offers the most discounted prices in the city
Excessive drinking of alcohol is harmful to your health. We only sell to persons above 20 years. Don't drink and drive.
Nairobi drinks Bring ease and convenience of buying and ordering alcohol delivery Nairobi. Whether you are looking for whisky delivery Nairobi or wine delivery Nairobi we got you covered. Your favorite drink is a dial away, Dial a drink Kenya and enjoy.